October 2018 – If you have been living and working in the US and have now returned to Canada, Canadian tax law will permit you, as a resident individual living in Canada, to transfer a foreign pension plan, such as a 401(k) plan or IRA, to an RRSP on a tax-deferred basis. Several considerations and conditions apply so its important to talk to your financial advisor first.